What We Do
We Offer Open Focused Care:
At Health n' Smiles, it's not what we do that's important. It's HOW we do it.
"Open-focused care" is the way we describe our approach.
We're "open" because we invite participation from the community and want to ensure access. For example:
- We recognize that all individuals have assets and gifts to share. Our task is to invite people to share these assets to build a healthier community;
- We follow an anti-oppressive practice which aims to eradicate social injustice and health disparities perpetuated by social inequalities. We value everyone's participation; especially those with diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation and identity, age, class, ability and religion.
- We ensure that our staff speak the languages of our clients and understand the different cultural contexts in which they live
We're "focused" because we design our services and programs to closely match individual and community needs and preferences. For example:
- We offer client-centered care. We try to offer the right care at the right time.
- We are fluid and mobile because we want our clients to easily connect with us. You will find us in action throughout our community; in community centres, seniors' homes, schools, libraries or other social service agencies. Transportation costs or physical ability should not be a barrier for you to access good oral health care.
- We partner with other health and social service agencies so our clients can easily access other types of supports they need. We build relationships so we can make referrals to a wider network of supports such as employment, settlement, housing, education, seniors care, etc.
Every day we live our model of "Open Focused Care", providing high-quality oral health services and fostering deep connections with the individuals, groups and communities.